[an error occurred while processing this directive]
|Email story||Comment||Letter to the editor|
By Times Staff Writer
Published February 26, 2008
Boy Scout Troop 406 will host its annual pancake breakfast from 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the Ridge Manor Community Center, 34530 Cortez Blvd.
The breakfast will include pancakes, sausage, biscuits and gravy, applesauce, orange juice, coffee and tea. The cost is $5 for adults, $3 for children and free for children younger than 5.
The Boy Scout troop is sponsored by Ridge Manor Community United Methodist Church. Funds raised will benefit the troop's expenses for camping trips, camping equipment and other expenses. For information, call Pauline at 583-4726.
Chinsegut center's events set for March
Chinsegut Nature Center will offer the following events and programs in March:
- Astronomy Night with the St. Petersburg Astronomy Club, 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday. Meet at the Perry Oldenburg Mitigation Park on Deer Run Road, off U.S. 41.
- Mammals and Tracking, presented by Walt McCown, 9 to 11:30 a.m. March 5. The program will include an indoor presentation and outdoor walk. Class size is limited to 30.
- Incredible Edibles, 6 to 8 p.m. March 11. This is a wild edible plant and game cooking demonstration. Participants are to bring their own place settings to sample foods.
- Geomorphology, presented by Mike Kelly, 9 to 11:30 a.m. March 12. The program will include an indoor presentation and outdoor walk.
- Basin Marsh Community, presented by Sharon Fitz-Coy and Charles Cichra, 9 a.m. to noon March 19. Bring shoes for getting wet during this exploration of the wetland plant and animal community.
- Birds of Prey, presented by Doris Mager, 10 a.m. to noon March 22. This will be a show-and-tell with four birds of prey: a crested caracara, great-horned owl, screech owl and kestrel.
- Map and Compass Class, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. March 26. Class size is limited to 30. Preregistration is required.
- Introductory Archery Workshop, 10 a.m. to noon March 29. Equipment will be provided. Class size is limited to 30; preregistration is required.
All programs, unless otherwise specified, are free and at the nature center, 23212 Lake Lindsey Road, north of Brooksville. Seating is limited and reservations are required. For information or reservations, call 754-6722.
German Shepherd Dog Show this weekend
A German Shepherd Dog Show by the Tampa Bay German Shepherd Dog Club and Fort Myers GSDC will be at 9 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. Sunday at Florida Classic Park, 3360 Lockhart Road, off Cortez Boulevard, east of Brooksville.
There will be information on dog shows for newcomers, as well as dog show tours for those new to AKC dog show events.
Admission is free. Parking is $4 per vehicle. For information, call 799-1181.
Group to put on dinner at church Saturday
Squire Circle 5175 of St. Joan of Arc will host a dinner at 5 p.m. Saturday at St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church hall, 13485 Spring Hill Drive.
The dinner will include ziti with meatballs, salad, bread, coffee, tea and dessert. Door prizes will be awarded. Tickets are $6 each and can be purchased in the parish office or by calling Sal Rotella at 686-9228, Jim Di Marco at 683-7290 or Al Puera at 686-8442.
Elks Lodge to host sock hop Saturday
Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520 will host a sock hop at 6 p.m. Saturday at the lodge, 9135 Denton Ave.
Food will be available, as well as an Ice Cream Shoppe featuring sundaes, shakes and other treats. Music will be provided by Sweet Charlie.
Loafers, letter sweaters and poodle skirts are encouraged, but optional. Admission is free.
For information, call (727) 863-2520.
[Last modified February 25, 2008, 20:48:00]