Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
By Times Staff Writer
Published March 6, 2008
Low- and middle-income Hernando County residents can have their federal income tax preparations done free through two organizations at various sites throughout the county:
AARP Tax-Aide volunteers
AARP volunteers, trained in cooperation with the IRS, will offer free tax preparation assistance to low- and middle-income taxpayers at various locations in the county.
Special attention will be given to those age 60 and older. AARP membership is not required to use this service. Free electronic filing (e-file) will be available at all sites.
Those wishing to have their tax forms prepared must bring photo ID and Social Security cards (including Social Security cards for all dependents), a copy of last year's tax return, all applicable tax records for 2007 showing income, deductions and credits, and a canceled check with bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit of any refund.
The free service will be offered from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday through April 15 at the following locations. For information, call Barbara Perry at 688-3303.
- Mondays: Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill; Grace World Outreach Church, 20366 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville.
- Tuesdays: First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill; Brooksville Enrichment Center, 670 S Broad St., Brooksville.
- Wednesdays: High Point Community Clubhouse, 12249 Clubhouse Road, High Point.
- Thursdays: First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill; Forest Oaks Villas Clubhouse, 8125 Forest Villa Circle, Spring Hill; Spring Hill Enrichment Center (behind Oak Hill Hospital), 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill.
- Fridays: Loyal Order of the Moose Lodge 521, 5214 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill; Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., Brookridge; and the Heather Clubhouse, 9100 Nakoma Way, Weeki Wachee.
The VITA program at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program
This program also provides free federal tax preparation assistance at 830 Kennedy Blvd. (in the third mobile unit behind Mid-Florida Community Services). The service is available to people with a total income of less than $50,000.
Certified volunteers will be available from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays through April 15. All returns are electronically filed with the IRS.
Those attending need to bring a Social Security card for everyone claimed on the return and a photo ID for taxpayers, all income documents (W-2s and 1099s), receipts for qualifying expenses, copy of last year's tax return, and, on joint returns, both taxpayers must be present.