Tampa Bay: December 22, 2000
North Pinellas County news
27-year police sergeant dies at age 49
[Times photo: Brendan Fitterer]
Matt Jordan flies through the air with the greatest of ease after being tossed by his friends David Vaughn, left, and Doug Vaughn on Thursday. The two launched Matt onto the pole vault mat at Seminole High School.
Sgt. William Sedrick took care of those around him, other officers say. And he helped bring about better pensions for retiring officers.
Police: Man secretly taped talk with officer
The Tarpon Springs man was charged after he filed a misconduct complaint against some of the officers.
Two escape injury as fire destroys home
A fire official says the early morning blaze appeared to start in an attic.
Tarpon votes to raise rates about $3 at golf course
The money is needed for a new green and two new bridges on the 13th hole, concrete paths, completion of the golf shop and 30 new palm trees.
Charities rake in war chest wealth
After the elections' furor has passed, many candidates are giving their leftover funds to non-profit organizations.
Officials seek 2 men after bank robbery
SEMINOLE -- Pinellas County deputies are searching for two men who robbed a Premier Community Bank near Seminole on Thursday.
City Hall Park will close for facelift
The improvements, including a band shell and a fitness trail, are due to be finished in six to eight months.
Crash victim worried about eyes
Her sister says the woman, who died in a car accident Wednesday, feared her driving had deteriorated.
Single father, four kids touched by kindness
Dozens have donated money and gifts to help out during the holidays.
Family told their above-ground pool must go
The pool had gone unnoticed for five years until it caught the attention of a city commissioner.
Potential cadets can learn of life at West Point
The West Point Parents Club of the Gulf Coast of Florida has scheduled a holiday reception for prospective West Point cadets at 10 a.m. Dec. 30 at the Radisson Sabal Park, 10221 Princess Palm Ave., Tampa. College and high school students, JROTC members and their parents are invited to attend the informal meeting to learn more about West Point and to meet with cadets who will be home for the holidays.
Dear Santa: I wish our officials got more respect
What an interesting request you have made. I look forward to reading people's hopes and dreams for our city and the officials who help us keep things running smoothly 90 percent of the time. They may be right the other 10 percent of the time, but because of our lack of understanding of the issues, we think they are wrong and tend to tell them so.
All signs point to go for walkers
A new system allows people to push a button and stop traffic in all directions at a busy Dunedin intersection.
Season rolls by with highs, lows
Looking back on 2000, Tampa Bay's bowling community endured a year of positive accomplishments, a couple of milestones and a few negatives.
Retired Col. Edward Imparato, wrote about WWII
BELLEAIR -- Edward Thomas Imparato, a retired Air Force colonel, author of two accounts of experiences in World War II, among other books, and a major force behind many local foundations, died Monday (Dec. 11, 2000) at his home in Belleair. He was 83.
The often-overlooked East-West Trail connects 11 parks. Now a state grant and city funds will allow Clearwater to make the path more traveled.
CHRISTMAS CONCERT: WTVT-Fox Channel 13 news anchor John Wilson will team up with his wife Mary Kay Wilson for a performance on stage at the Tonne Playhouse at the Largo Cultural Center Saturday. The couple has been singing together for 30 years. Now they will team up and sing your holiday favorites during two shows, 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the playhouse, 105 Central Park Drive, Largo (south of East Bay Drive between Highland Avenue and Seminole Boulevard, adjacent to the Largo Library). Tickets cost $10. Seating is reserved. For more information, call (727) 587-6793.
Tampa Bay headlines
Campus may get more power
As sales slow, charity thrives
Homeless shelters filling up
Court orders talks on Sam
All drivers may appear in digital lineups
Tampa Bay briefs
Man, 18, sentenced to life for slaying
Aisenberg spying extension unlawful
'Crowbar robber' evades capture
Drug case snitches lie, defense claims
South Pinellas headlines
Police gain weapon against booming bass
Arthur Hampton Jr., reliant on blood donors, dies
Papers' ballot examination presses forward
A timely visit from a Claus with a cause
Drivers get a break on parking in Ybor City
Employee foils plans of would-be store robber
Bitten teen in fair condition
Potential cadets can learn of life at West Point
Crash hurts two
News of Florida
Auditors hammer prison system
Bush team sizes up two Floridians
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
© Copyright 2000 St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved.