The first firefighters to respond were delayed when a downed power line landed on a firetruck.
By Times staff writer
© St. Petersburg Times, published January 21, 2001
ST. PETERSBURG -- An overloaded electrical outlet in a large, wood-frame home sparked a fire early Saturday that damaged the living room and front porch of the residence, fire rescue officials said.
The fire, at 2800 Third Ave. N, was reported to firefighters about 6:30 a.m., said St. Petersburg fire Lt. Chris Bengivengo.
The fire was under control shortly afterward.
No one was injured.
A smoke alarm awakened some of the six people who were in the home when the fire started, officials said.
At the same time, a police officer passing through the area saw the smoke and flames and pounded on the front door to get those inside out of the house, Bengivengo said.
Fire rescue officials estimated the damage at $20,000.
The first group of firefighters who arrived were temporarily hampered by a power line that fell atop a firetruck, officials said. Several firefighters leaped from the truck to avoid possible electrocution.
Donna Jo Reynolds, a neighbor awakened by the sirens and lights of the firetrucks, recalled seeing one firefighter praying shortly after the line fell.
"He said that was the closest call he's had in a long time," she said.