Be cool, be cool
By Times staff writer
© St. Petersburg Times, published January 25, 2001
Think you've spied Justin Timberlake hanging out at Adobe Gila's in Ybor City or Carmen Electra at the Green Iguana? Here are a few tips to help you handle the situation.
* * *
Don't squeal or go, "Waaasssssuuuuuppppp?!" (this applies to both men and women).
Keep that camera holstered for now. Gauge the situation and get photos later if the celebrity will let you. A camera flash can drive a celebrity away faster than a Jets coach's tenure.
Don't go on and on about how much you like their work. Make a compliment that shows you know their stuff and move on.
Don't treat them like royalty, but don't be overly familiar, either.
Don't act like these people should know you, just because you know them.
Don't try to out-cool celebrities -- they're celebrities and will always be cooler than you.
And don't try to be their best buddies. Act like you might act if you met someone interesting in a coffee shop: nice, friendly ... but not too friendly.
If you want them to treat you like a person, don't ask for an autograph. If you want them to treat you like a fan, ask for an autograph or picture.
Today's Super Bowl story lineup
- Nothing but blue skies
- For Ravens' Lewis, no answers, just pain
- At decisive moment, Armstead went right
- Celebrities can eat; the rest can forget it
- We paid for it; it paid off
- Be cool, be cool
- A reward for being unique
- Football, hard? Try owning a club or two
- AFC Guest analyst
- NFC guest analyst
- Sports Babe planning long vacation to regroup
- Dilfer in his glory
- Sharpe remarks
- Reselling tickets is big business
- Super side line
- Autograph demands are a sign of Faulk's times
- Ravens quotebook
- Whether wide or short, every kicker has a friend
- Some Sharpe words greet Lewis critics
- Reluctant convert finds his bliss on O-line
- Celebrity predictions
- Hilliard can take a hit
- Lomas Brown in line for a title
- Giants quotebook
- Celebrity watch
- A field guide to the celebrities
- Media follows the NFL's food trail
- Super volunteers have more answers than Regis Philbin
- Rooms are available, but they'll cost you
- Super Bowl side line
- Lots of money, but not for all
- Sand sculptures fill tall order
- Complaint brings an apology, tickets
- Art of the game
- Highlights of the week
- New rumor, new denial: no Parcells
- Bucs' Lynch takes a ride into the wild blue yonder
- Redner to teams and NFL: I must get this off my chest
- Loving every minute of it