By JOANNE KORTH
© St. Petersburg Times, published January 25, 2001
ON WHETHER THE NAME JASON GAVADZA RINGS A BELL: Who? (Jason Gavadza.) No, who is he? (He's the Ravens practice squad tight end.) Oh, him. I did not know his name. I call him Number 47, and he answers.
ON THE XFL: No, I would not play in the XFL.
ON WHAT FRIENDS WOULD SAY HE IS LIKE IN PRIVATE: If you could imagine it, they probably would say I'm quiet. I can't run the risk of everyone in America knowing what I'm like. So, if they want to call me loud, that's okay.
ON RAVENS COACH BRIAN BILLICK: Anyone who's going to talk more than me, I'm all for it.
ON ADAM YOUNG, WHO IS PLAYING SHARPE ON THE GIANTS' SCOUT TEAM: That's like Tony Siragusa trying to imitate Barry Sanders.
ON THE IMPACT OF HIS CONFIDENCE: I don't know if Brian knew that I'd have the impact that I've had, especially in the post-season, but he knew I was confident. He knew I worked hard. He knew I played with passion. I really enjoy the game, and he wanted me to bring that confidence to his team. Sometimes with a young team, you need a veteran guy who has been there and comes with credibility, credentials and background that I have.
Today's Super Bowl story lineup
- Nothing but blue skies
- For Ravens' Lewis, no answers, just pain
- At decisive moment, Armstead went right
- Celebrities can eat; the rest can forget it
- We paid for it; it paid off
- Be cool, be cool
- A reward for being unique
- Football, hard? Try owning a club or two
- AFC Guest analyst
- NFC guest analyst
- Sports Babe planning long vacation to regroup
- Dilfer in his glory
- Sharpe remarks
- Reselling tickets is big business
- Super side line
- Autograph demands are a sign of Faulk's times
- Ravens quotebook
- Whether wide or short, every kicker has a friend
- Some Sharpe words greet Lewis critics
- Reluctant convert finds his bliss on O-line
- Celebrity predictions
- Hilliard can take a hit
- Lomas Brown in line for a title
- Giants quotebook
- Celebrity watch
- A field guide to the celebrities
- Media follows the NFL's food trail
- Super volunteers have more answers than Regis Philbin
- Rooms are available, but they'll cost you
- Super Bowl side line
- Lots of money, but not for all
- Sand sculptures fill tall order
- Complaint brings an apology, tickets
- Art of the game
- Highlights of the week
- New rumor, new denial: no Parcells
- Bucs' Lynch takes a ride into the wild blue yonder
- Redner to teams and NFL: I must get this off my chest
- Loving every minute of it