Flames shoot up vent through roof
By Times staff writers
© St. Petersburg Times, published February 16, 2001
SEMINOLE -- A report of flames shooting through a restaurant roof sent seven fire vehicles to the scene Thursday afternoon. But the fire began on the stove and did only minor damage to the Great Wall Chinese Restaurant, which opened a month ago at 10797 Park Blvd. Little more than the restaurant stove was damaged, said fire department spokeswoman Alison Shanabrook. Meat cooking in a steamer caught fire, and the stove vent quickly sucked up the flames, sending them through the roof. "We thought it was something more substantial, because there were flames through the roof," Shanabrook said. No one was injured, and restaurant owner Jimmy Zheng said he expects to be open today.
Festival's proceeds branch out
The 16th annual Festival of Trees at Harborview Center in Clearwater raised $84,000, which was distributed last month to charities throughout Pinellas County. Recipients include Hospice of the Florida Suncoast, UPARC, Haven of RCS, the Watson Center, Equither, Friends of the Deaf Service Center and Foundation Village Neighborhood Family Center.
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111
From the Times
North Pinellas desks