St. Petersburg Times Online: News of Tampa and Hillsborough
TampaBay.com
Place an Ad Calendars Classified Forums Sports Weather
tampabay.com

printer version

A closer look: one Hillsborough church

By SHANNON BREEN

© St. Petersburg Times, published March 3, 2001


St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

LOCATION: 509 E. Twiggs St., Tampa (corner of Marion Street at Madison) 221-2035.

SERVICES: 9:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Sunday. Holy Communion service with healing is Wednesday at 12:10 p.m.

HISTORY: In the spring of 1868, the first service was celebrated in Tampa and in 1871, the first parish was organized. Services were conducted at Fort Brook Hospital. The sanctuary and property were valued at only $140.

LEADERSHIP: Stephen Ankudowich has been senior rector for 12 years. He earned a bachelor's degree at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn. He then attended the Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Mass., where he earned his master's of divinity and his doctorate of ministry. He has been married to Denise for 29 years. She teaches foreign languages at Plant High School. They have three children: Michael, 17, Elizabeth, 14, and Alexandra, 11.

MEMBERSHIP: About 1,100 with a mix of older, middle-aged and young families with children.

Back to Tampa area news

Back to Top

© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South • St. Petersburg, FL 33701 • 727-893-8111
 
Special Links
Mary Jo Melone
Howard Troxler


From the Times
Tampa bureaus

  • 1 dead, 2 hurt in four-vehicle crash
  • Briber acquitted of tax evasion
  • A closer look: one Hillsborough church
  • Religion calendar

  •