By MARY ELMORE
© St. Petersburg Times, published March 4, 2001
1. GUNN HIGHWAY AT LINEBAUGH AVENUE, FEB. 16, 4:45 P.M.: A 29-year-old woman was headed north in a 2000 Mazda and turned around to check on her baby in the back seat when she went off the road, hit a light pole and hit three trees. No injuries were reported.
2. FLETCHER AVENUE AT FLORIDA AVENUE, FEB. 16, 6:16 P.M.: A southbound 1985 Toyota pulled out of a private driveway across Fletcher Avenue and hit an eastbound 2000 Toyota broadside. The 1985 Toyota driver, a 62-year-old man, was taken to University Community Hospital.
3. SHELDON ROAD AT LINEBAUGH AVENUE, FEB. 16, 8:15 P.M.: A northbound 2001 Chevrolet ran a red light and hit a southbound 1985 Pontiac head-on. The Chevrolet driver, a 28-year-old man, was treated at the scene with non-life threatening injuries and was charged with violation of a traffic control device.
4. BRUCE B. DOWNS BOULEVARD AT 43RD STREET, FEB. 17, 1:54 A.M.: A 1992 southbound Nissan truck rear-ended a 2001 Kawasaki motorcycle. The Nissan left 182 feet of skid marks and the motorcycle was embedded into the grill of the Nissan. The Nissan driver, a 40-year-old man, was charged with careless driving. The motorcyclist, a 24-year-old man, was taken to Tampa General Hospital as a precaution.
5. INTERSTATE 275 AT BEARSS AVENUE, FEB. 17, 9:45 A.M.: A southbound 1987 Chevrolet truck rear-ended a 2000 Pontiac. The Chevrolet driver, a 37-year-old man, was charged with careless driving.
6. FLORIDA AVENUE AT BEARSS AVENUE, FEB. 17, 3:10 P.M.: A southbound 1998 Toyota pulled out of a private driveway, ran a stop sign and crossed the intersection into the path of a 1994 Mitsubishi. The Toyota driver, a 26-year-old woman, was charged with failure to obey a stop sign.
7. FLETCHER AVENUE AT 19TH STREET, FEB. 18, 8:05 A.M.: An eastbound 1990 Jeep turned left into the path of westbound 1990 Toyota truck. The Toyota locked its brakes and skidded 91 feet and continued 29 feet after impact before coming to a rest. The Jeep spun clockwise, hit the sidewalk and flipped over onto its roof. The Jeep driver, a 39-year-old man, was thrown from the passenger side door and landed on the sidewalk. The Toyota driver, an 18-year-old woman, and the Jeep driver were taken to University Community and Tampa General hospitals.
8. FLORIDA AVENUE AT WOOTEN ROAD, FEB. 18, 8:22 P.M.: A northbound 1999 Dodge van turned left into the path of a southbound 1995 Isuzu. The Isuzu driver, a 29-year-old woman; and the Dodge driver, a 41-year-old man, were taken to St. Joseph's Hospital. The Dodge driver smelled of alcohol. A DUI investigation was conducted and results are pending.
9. INTERSTATE 275 AT BEARSS AVENUE, FEB. 19, 7:25 A.M.: A southbound 1995 Ford truck rear-ended a 1995 Chevrolet. The Ford driver, a 65-year-old man, was charged with careless driving.
10. BEARSS AVENUE AT SKIPPER ROAD, FEB. 19, 8:22 A.M.: A southbound 1994 Ford hit an eastbound 1997 Dodge broadside. The Dodge driver, a 29-year-old man, said he had a green light. The Ford driver, a 61-year-old man, also said he had a green light. Due to conflicting stories, no citations were issued.
11. LIVINGSTON AVENUE AT SUNSET LANE, FEB. 19, 11 A.M.: A southbound 1994 Mitsubishi rear-ended a 1987 Cadillac. The Mitsubishi driver, a 24-year-old woman, was charged with careless driving and no proof of insurance.
12. LAKE ELLEN DRIVE AT VERA AVENUE, FEB. 19, 1:50 P.M.: An eastbound 1997 Buick rear-ended a 1989 GMC truck. The Buick driver, a 76-year-old woman, was charged with following too closely.
13. INTERSTATE 275 AT FLETCHER AVENUE, FEB. 20, 8:25 A.M.: A southbound 1994 Nissan truck rear-ended a 2000 Toyota. The Nissan driver, a 60-year-old man, was charged with careless driving.
14. LINEBAUGH AVENUE AT WILSKY BOULEVARD, FEB. 20, 8:38 A.M.: A westbound 1998 Toyota turned left into the path of an eastbound 2000 Honda van. The Toyota driver, a 46-year-old woman, was charged with violation of right-of-way. The Honda driver, a 35-year-old woman, was five months pregnant and taken to St. Joseph's Hospital for observation.
15. DALE MABRY HIGHWAY AT HANDY ROAD, FEB. 20, 11:13 A.M.: A northbound 1999 Chrysler van rear-ended a 2001 Volkswagen causing the Volkswagen to rear-end a 1992 Mercury. The Chrysler driver, a 34-year-old woman, was charged with careless driving.
16. FLETCHER AVENUE AT FLORIDA AVENUE, FEB. 20, 11:45 A.M.: An eastbound 1993 Mitsubishi rear-ended a 2000 Ford truck. The Mitsubishi driver, a 21-year-old man, was charged with careless driving. A passenger in the Ford, a 21-year-old man was taken to Brandon Hospital.
17. BEARSS AVENUE AT FLORIDA AVENUE, FEB. 20, 4:20 P.M.: An eastbound 1996 Toyota pulled out of a driveway and turned left into the path of a westbound 1991 Plymouth van. The Toyota driver, a 34-year-old woman, was charged with violation of right-of-way.
18. GUNN HIGHWAY AT SHELDON ROAD, FEB. 21, 1:30 P.M.: A westbound 1996 Ford truck rear-ended a 2000 GMC commercial truck. The GMC driver, a 21-year-old man, was taken to Town & Country Hospital.
19. WATERS AVENUE AT WILSKY BOULEVARD, FEB. 21, 3:15 P.M.: A westbound 1991 Nissan made a U-turn into the path of an eastbound 1978 BMW motorcycle. The motorcyclist, a 63-year-old man, was thrown to the ground and the motorcycle slid on its left side. The Nissan driver, a 30-year-old woman, was charged with violation of right-of-way. The motorcyclist was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital with numerous non-life threatening injuries.
20. SHELDON ROAD AT GUNN HIGHWAY, FEB. 21, 4 P.M.: A southbound 1994 Mercedes was traveling 75 mph in a 45 mph speed limit when it lost control around a curve, went off the road, hit a concrete wall and rolled along its center axis several times. The concrete blocks from the destroyed wall damaged a swing set, gate and screen door at a residence. The driver, a 16-year-old boy and a passenger, a 12-year-old girl, were taken to Town & Country Hospital.
21. DALE MABRY HIGHWAY AT EHRLICH ROAD, FEB. 21, 6:37 P.M.: An 18-year-old man was headed south in a 1980 Chevrolet when he hit the brakes. His vehicle jerked to the left and hit a raised concrete median. He lost control of the vehicle, went across the raised concrete median and hit a northbound 1996 Chrysler head-on. As a result, the Chrysler went across the northbound lanes and sideswiped a 1995 Chevrolet. The Chrysler driver, a 60-year-old woman, was taken to University Community Hospital Carrollwood.
22. HUTCHINSON ROAD AT MICHAEL LANE, FEB. 22, 10:30 A.M.: A northbound 1998 Honda turned left into the path of a 1996 Lexus. Both vehicles spun clockwise, went off the road and caused the Lexus to hit a 67-year-old man walking on the sidewalk. The pedestrian was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital with a laceration to his head. The Honda driver, a 20-year-old man, was charged with violation of right-of-way.
23. TAMPA PALMS BOULEVARD AT BRUCE B. DOWNS BOULEVARD, FEB. 22, 11:50 A.M.: A southbound 2001 Audi pulled out of a parking lot into the path of a northbound 1997 Volvo. The Audi driver, a 41-year-old woman, was charged with violation of right-of-way.
24. FLETCHER AVENUE AT N 15TH STREET, FEB. 22, 2:58 P.M.: A 41-year-old woman with epilepsy was headed west in a 1991 Toyota when she had a seizure. She went across the westbound and eastbound lanes in a southbound direction, went off the road, hit a street sign and hit a building head-on. She was taken to University Community Hospital.
25. FLORIDA AVENUE AT FLETCHER AVENUE, FEB. 22, 6:22 P.M.: An eastbound 1999 Mercedes turned left and hit a 60-year-old man crossing the street. The driver, a 54-year-old woman, said she did not see the pedestrian, who was not at an intersection or in a marked pedestrian crossing. There were no injuries reported.
26. NEBRASKA AVENUE AT SUNSET LANE, FEB. 22, 6:38 P.M.: A southbound 1996 Ford was in the middle of the intersection in the left turn lane when the signal turned red. A witness said a northbound 1987 Honda entered the intersection on the red traffic signal and hit the Ford head-on. The injured were taken to St. Joseph's and University Community hospitals.
27. DALE MABRY HIGHWAY AT LUTZ LAKE FERN ROAD, FEB. 22, 8:34 P.M.: A northbound 1993 Toyota rear-ended a 1997 semitrailer that was stopped due to traffic backup. No skid marks were noted. The Toyota driver, a 43-year-old man, was charged with driving with a suspended license and taken to University Community Hospital Carrollwood.
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111
From the Times