A closer look: one Hillsborough church
By SHANNON BREEN
© St. Petersburg Times, published March 31, 2001
Lake Magdalene United Methodist Church
LOCATION: 2902 W. Fletcher Ave., Tampa. (813) 961-1254.
SERVICES AND PROGRAMS: Sunday: 8:15, 9:35, and 11 a.m. worship, 9:30 and 11 a.m. Sunday school. Wednesday: 5:45 p.m.
HISTORY: The church was chartered in 1895 as a United Brethren Church and became an evangelical United Brethren Church in 1946. In 1968, the church became a United Methodist Church. The church was started by nine members who met in a frame house on Lake Carroll's north shore.
LEADERSHIP: Ken Miller has been pastor for about three years. He graduated from Asbury College and Asbury Theological Seminary in Kentucky. He has served in churches all over Florida. Born in Connecticut, he grew up in Orlando. He and his wife, Peggy, met 33 years ago while serving as president and vice president at Asbury College. Peggy assists with church duties as well as traveling around the country presenting a one-woman drama about historical Christian women. They have two daughters, Tricia, 25, and Melissa, 22. Miller served in the Air Force for four years before attending college.
RECENT SERMON TOPIC OR THEME: The upcoming topics will be focused on the Lenten period as Easter approaches.
MEMBERSHIP: About 2,000.
OUTREACH TO THE COMMUNITY: The church has an Early Childhood Center and has bought a family suite for Project Uplift, a ministry of Metropolitan Ministries. It also has given a house to the Tampa United Methodist Centers. The church sponsors an Alcoholics Anonymous and an Al-Anon group and provides space for five homeowners associations to meet. The Bloodmobile goes to the church, and members work with the Spring, Faith Children's Home and the Salvation Army.
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111