By MARY ELMORE
© St. Petersburg Times, published April 1, 2001
1. DEVON PARK DRIVE AT TURN BRIDGE COURT, MARCH 16, 9:20 A.M.: An eastbound 1996 Ford truck crossed into the westbound lanes and hit a parked 1996 Dodge van. The Ford driver, a 72-year-old man, was charged with careless driving.
2. FLORIDA AVENUE AT 131ST STREET, MARCH 16, 11:23 A.M.: A northbound 1993 Pontiac rear-ended a 1994 Mercury. The Pontiac driver, a 23-year-old woman, was charged with careless driving.
3. NEBRASKA AVENUE AT CRYSTAL LAKE ROAD, MARCH 16, 11:45 A.M.: A witness said that a southbound 1990 Lincoln ran a red light and hit a northbound 2001 Ford as it made a left turn. The Lincoln driver, a 44-year-old woman, said that she had a green light. The Ford driver, a 52-year-old man, said that he had a green arrow. The Ford driver was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital.
4. HUTCHINSON ROAD AT EHRLICH ROAD, MARCH 16, 6 P.M.: A southbound 1998 Ford van rear-ended another 1998 Ford van. The second driver, a 40-year-old man, was taken to University Community Hospital Carrollwood.
5. FLETCHER AVENUE AT 22ND STREET, MARCH 16, 8:30 P.M.: An 8-year-old boy was headed north and crossed the street into the path of a westbound 1997 Chevrolet truck. The pedestrian was not crossing against the traffic light and was not at the crosswalk area. He was taken to Tampa General Hospital.
6. NORTH LAKEVIEW DRIVE AT ROUND OAK DRIVE, MARCH 17, 4:50 A.M.: An eastbound 1989 Mazda lost control and hit a raised concrete curb and tree in the median. The driver, a 25-year-old man, suffered a minor injury but refused treatment.
7. LIVINGSTON AVENUE AT 132ND AVENUE, MARCH 17, 4:29 P.M.:A westbound 1986 Pontiac made a left turn into the path of a southbound 1988 Acura. The injured were taken to University Community and St. Joseph hospitals.
8. FLETCHER AVENUE AT NEBRASKA AVENUE, MARCH 17, 7 P.M.: A westbound 1996 Chevrolet rear-ended a 1999 BMW. The injured were taken to University Community Hospital.
9. LIVINGSTON AVENUE AT 148TH AVENUE, MARCH 17, 9:27 P.M.: A northbound 1984 Buick rear-ended a 1995 Ford as it slowed to make a left turn. The Buick driver, an 18-year-old man, was charged with careless driving.
10. BRUCE B. DOWNS BOULEVARD AT REGENTS PARK DRIVE, MARCH 18, 4:25 A.M.: A 32-year-old man fell asleep at the wheel while headed north in a 2000 Toyota truck. He went off the road and hit a guardrail. The vehicle overturned, skidded 189 feet and the rear axle came off.
11. FLETCHER AVENUE AT NEBRASKA AVENUE, MARCH 18, 11 A.M.: A westbound 1997 Nissan rear-ended a 1995 Ford truck. The Nissan driver, a 22-year-old man, was charged with careless driving. The Ford driver, a 46-year-old woman, was taken to University Community Hospital.
12. SOUTH VILLAGE DRIVE AT DALE MABRY HIGHWAY, MARCH 18, 6:37 P.M.: A southbound 1999 Nissan crossed the intersection into the path of an eastbound 1998 Toyota. The Nissan spun clockwise and hit a northbound 1989 Nissan that was stopped. The driver of the 1999 Nissan, a 37-year-old woman, was charged with violation of right of way.
13. GUNN HIGHWAY AT ANDERSON ROAD, MARCH 18, 7:10 P.M.: An eastbound 1999 Toyota turned left into the path of a westbound 1999 Volkswagen. The Toyota driver, a 43-year-old woman, was charged with failure to yield right of way.
14. BRUCE B. DOWNS BOULEVARD AT COMMERCE PALMS BOULEVARD, MARCH 19, 4:55 P.M.: A southbound 1992 Cadillac rear-ended a 1999 Buick that was stopped for heavy traffic. The Cadillac driver, a 59-year-old man, said that he had momentarily looked away. He was charged with careless driving.
15. CROSS CREEK BOULEVARD AT BRUCE B. DOWNS BOULEVARD, MARCH 19, 10 P.M.: An eastbound 1997 Honda turned left into the path of a westbound 1994 Toyota. The injured were taken to University Community Hospital.
16. ROME AVENUE AT FLETCHER AVENUE, MARCH 20, 10:45 A.M.: A northbound 1999 Toyota was traveling at an unknown speed around a curve, went off the road and hit a guardrail. The driver, a 70-year-old woman, had suffered a blackout and didn't remember anything prior to the crash. She was taken to University Community Hospital.
17. SHELDON ROAD AT GUNN HIGHWAY, MARCH 20, 3:40 P.M.: A westbound 1990 Honda was speeding when the driver lost control, went over the curb, hit a sign and phone box, crossed the median into the southbound lanes and hit the side of a northbound 1993 Chevrolet truck. The truck was pushed into the side of a northbound 2000 Toyota. The Honda driver, a 16-year-old girl, was taken to University Community Hospital and charged with careless driving and violation of a learner's permit.
18. FLETCHER AVENUE AT FOREST HILLS DRIVE, MARCH 20, 5 P.M.: A westbound 1999 Ford rear-ended a 1992 Infiniti that was stopped for traffic. The Ford driver, a 59-year-old man, was charged with following too closely.
19. GUNN HIGHWAY AT LYNN TURNER ROAD, MARCH 20, 5:09 P.M.: A westbound 1990 Chevrolet rear-ended a 2000 Mazda. The Chevrolet driver, a 19-year-old woman, was taken to Town & Country Hospital and was charged with careless driving, no proof of insurance and no valid driver's license.
20. COUNTRYWAY BOULEVARD AT MEMORIAL HIGHWAY, MARCH 20, 5:30 P.M.: A southbound 1967 Volkswagen went off the road when the driver, a 28-year-old man, fell asleep at the wheel. He woke up and tried to regain control but hit a light pole. He was taken to Town & Country Hospital with minor injuries.
21. BRUCE B. DOWNS BOULEVARD AT HIGHWOODS PRESERVE PARKWAY, MARCH 21, 3:50 A.M.: A northbound 1988 Dodge van was speeding, lost control, hit a guard rail and spun counterclockwise. A DUI investigation was conducted. The driver, a 42-year-old man, and a passenger, a 48-year-old man, were taken to Tampa General and University Community hospitals.
22. FLETCHER AVENUE AT 46TH STREET, MARCH 21, 9:55 A.M.: A westbound 1996 Volkswagen rear-ended a 2001 Nissan truck that was stopped for traffic. The Volkswagen driver, a 34-year-old woman, was taken to University Community Hospital and charged with careless driving.
23. GUNN HIGHWAY AT COMMUNITY CAMPUS DRIVE, MARCH 21, 11:08 A.M.: A westbound 1993 Nissan hit a westbound 1986 Chevrolet tractor truck as it made a U-turn. The Nissan sustained $1,000 in damage. Neither driver was treated for injuries.
24. HIXON ROAD AT SHELDON ROAD, MARCH 21, 4:15 P.M.: A northbound 1997 GMC tractor truck lost control around a curve, spun clockwise and overturned. The driver, a 25-year-old man, was charged with no valid driver's license and careless driving.
25. BRUCE B. DOWNS BOULEVARD AT HUNTERS LAKE DRIVE, MARCH 22, 9:30 A.M.: A westbound 1993 Pontiac pulled into the path of a northbound 2001 Subaru. The Pontiac driver, a 19-year-old man, was charged with failure to yield.
26. LIVINGSTON AVENUE AT 151ST AVENUE, MARCH 22, 8:15 P.M.: A northbound 1979 Dodge van turned left into the path of a 1987 Mazda truck. The Dodge driver, a 23-year-old man, left the scene and was located nearby at his residence; he denied being the driver. He was charged with violation of right of way, leaving the scene of a traffic accident and driving with a suspended license with knowledge.
27. BRUCE B. DOWNS BOULEVARD AT INTERSTATE 75, MARCH 22, 8:35 P.M.: A northbound 1991 Nissan rear-ended a 1998 Dodge truck, pushing the Dodge into the rear of a 1990 Honda. A passenger in the Dodge, a 30-year-old woman, was taken to University Community Hospital.
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111
From the Times