St. Petersburg Times Online: Pasco
 Devil Rays Forums

printer version

Boiling water severely burns boy

By TAMARA LUSH

© St. Petersburg Times, published April 26, 2000


HUDSON -- A 2-year-old boy was severely burned when he pulled a pot of boiling water off a stove Monday night, and he was sent to an out-of-state burn center for treatment, according to hospital officials.

Jason Alan Thomas was celebrating Easter a day late with his mother, Terra Lynn Thomas, at her 14014 Bluegill Lane home.

Sometime between 9 and 9:45 p.m., the family was boiling eggs to decorate, said Pasco sheriff's spokesman Jon Powers, and the boy reached up toward the pot of scalding water.

Terra Thomas' housemate, Jeff Wexler, 30, was standing near the stove and had turned to get something out of the refrigerator when the accident happened, said Powers.

There were two other small children in the home, but they were not injured, he said.

The family drove Jason to Bayonet Point Medical Center in Hudson, and officials there decided to fly him to Tampa General Hospital at 10:15 p.m., said Pasco Fire-Rescue officials.

The boy had second-degree burns, said rescue workers. Officials at Tampa General would not disclose the location or severity of the burns.

On Tuesday afternoon, the family gathered at the boy's bedside in the intensive care unit of Tampa General Hospital. Although he was listed in fair condition, the boy was taken on Tuesday night to a Shriners Hospital in Ohio, where he will get specialized care for his burns, a Tampa General spokeswoman said.

Deputies from the Crimes Against Children unit at the Pasco County Sheriff's office investigated the case, said Powers.

"There's no reason to believe that this was anything but a tragic accident," Powers said.

Tamara Lush is the police reporter in Pasco County. She can be reached in west Pasco at 869-6245 or (800) 333-7505, ext. 6245. Her e-mail address is lush@sptimes.com.

Back to Pasco County news

Back to Top
© St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved.