Tampa Bay briefs
By Times staff writers
© St. Petersburg Times, published April 29, 2001
Fire damages business in former cigar factory
TAMPA -- Firefighters say the sprinkler system in a renovated cigar factory saved the building from burning down Saturday afternoon.
The general manager of Speedline Athletic Wear at 1804 N Habana smelled smoke about 12:21 p.m. while he worked by himself in the building, said spokesman Bill Wade of Tampa Fire Rescue. The manager of the apparel manufacturing company found some fabric on fire just as the sprinklers came on.
It took only a few minutes for two fire crews to put out the blaze, but another 45 minutes to clear smoke out of the building, said Wade. A fire investigator believes an electrical short probably started the blaze.
More than 100 people work in the building, Wade said. Damages are estimated at $10,000.
Man injured in fire awarded $2.5-million
A Bahamian man burned across 20 percent of his body in a Tampa shipyard fire almost three years ago has settled a personal injury lawsuit against the Hendry Corp.
Daniel Brooks of Nassau was awarded $2.5-million Friday, ending a five-day civil trial in Hillsborough Circuit Court.
On Nov. 6, 1998, Brooks was a 33-year-old seaman aboard a vessel undergoing repairs at the shipyard. He was severely burned when a spark from a welder started a fire at Hendry Corp., 5107 S Westshore Blvd.
Attorney Jack Hickey of Miami said his client suffered a permanent disability from his injuries.
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111
From the Times
local news desks