[an error occurred while processing this directive]
By ROBERT TRIGAUX
© St. Petersburg Times, published May 6, 2001
Think you're up on Florida's current business scene? Fancy yourself an economic savant? Test your wits on our business quiz. Get all 15 right? Well, hotshot, submit your resume for Alan Greenspan's job. Get 12 right? Replace Regis Philbin as host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Nine right? Become a bank teller. Six right? Become a bank president. Fewer than six right? Become a columnist.
Good luck. Answers are at the end.
1. Gov. Jeb Bush opposes his brother, President Bush, on:
A. Who's more conservative.
B. Drilling in the gulf near Florida.
C. Who's more compassionate.
D. Naming the next Bush child "Chad."
2. Tampa Bay Devil Rays owner Vince Naimoli donned a Hawaiian shirt to:
A. Display the team's new uniform.
B. Say he's moving the team to Key West.
C. Relocate to Fantasy Island.
D. Unveil plans to hire a chief operating officer.
3. Fed chairman Greenspan may boost the economy by:
A. Hand-delivering tax cut refunds to every American.
B. Saying "irrational exuberance" 50 times fast.
C. Cutting interest rates for a fifth time since January.
D. Starring as Harry Potter in the summer movie.
4. In five years, Tropicana Field will be home to:
A. A big sale on artificial turf.
B. The Devil Rays.
C. A desalination plant.
D. A lot of frozen orange juice.
5. The Central Florida High-Tech Corridor's biggest obstacle is:
A. I-4 traffic.
B. Relocating Florida-trained engineers.
C. Puny venture capital activity.
D. All of the above.
6. Which three new stores open in the Tampa Bay area this fall?
A. Montgomery Ward, Gayfer's and Woolworth.
B. Saks, Burlaps and Brown Bags.
C. Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor.
D. Burdines, Turbines and Cosines.
7. The bay area's bid for the 2012 Olympics:
A. Must top those of seven other U.S. cities.
B. May outlast marathoners in Florida's heat.
C. Is actually for the Winter Olympics.
D. Will feature hurricane races.
8. Emerging as this region's biggest economic booster is:
A. Raymond, the Devil Rays mascot.
B. Disc jockey Bubba the Love Sponge.
D. USF president Judy Genshaft.
9. People move to Florida for its:
A. Malathion spraying.
B. Lack of corporate headquarters.
C. Beaches and weather.
D. Tighter water restrictions.
10. Tampa staffing company Kforce.com wants to change its name to:
A. Delta Force.
11. After First Union buys Wachovia, the new bank will be called:
B. "Walk Over You."
C. Last Union.
D. Too Darn Big.
12. Florida Power hints its ever-rising electric rates may dip:
A. When cold fusion arrives.
B. Later this year, if we're lucky.
C. When Florida freezes over.
D. Between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2050.
13. Recruiting workers to Florida is hard because of the poor perception of our:
14. Which area company was not recently bought by an out-of-state corporation?
A. Florida Progress.
D. Primex Technologies.
15. Tampa Bay's role model for business remains:
ANSWERS: 1(B), 2(D), 3(C), 4(B), 5(D), 6(C), 7(A), 8(D), 9(C), 10(D), 11(A), 12(B), 13(D), 14(B), 15(A)
- Robert Trigaux can be reached at email@example.com or (727) 893-8405.