Teen burns his hand in bed fire
By Times staff writer
© St. Petersburg Times,
TARPON SPRINGS -- A teenager accidentally started a fire in his bed early Friday morning and caused about $10,000 damage to his family's house, said Kevin Bowman, deputy chief of Tarpon Springs Fire Rescue.
Bowman said the 18-year-old, whose name was not available Friday afternoon, told fire officials "he thinks he may have been smoking in bed" in the house at 1403 Fox Run Drive in the Trentwood Manor subdivision. The house is owned by the teen's father, Michael Denooyer, Bowman said.
The fire started about 2:44 a.m. and was contained mostly in the teenager's bedroom, Bowman said. The young man suffered second-degree burns on his hand, Bowman said.
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111
From the Times
North Pinellas desks