By Times staff writer
© St. Petersburg Times,
published September 12, 2001
Game of the Week
St. Petersburg (1-1) at Northeast (2-0)
AT STAKE A leg-up in Class 5A, District 8. Seminole is the team to beat, but the Vikings and Green Devils are prime candidates for runner-up. A win in the district opener would go a long way toward that spot.
OFFENSE: Northeast's ground game is rolling with Anthony Washington and Ernest Fields each scoring three touchdowns in the first two games. St. Petersburg was sluggish last week, albeit against a very good Largo defense. EDGE: Northeast
DEFENSE: St. Petersburg's rebuilding project has started on this side of the ball with success, giving up just seven points this season. The front seven has had success rushing the passer. EDGE: St. Petersburg
SPECIAL TEAMS: Northeast stumbled at the end of last week's win over Dixie, giving up a kickoff return for a touchdown and, for the second consecutive week, a blocked punt. St. Petersburg's special teams have been quiet so far this season. EDGE: St. Petersburg
INTANGIBLES: The Todd St. Louis era has kicked off superbly at St. Petersburg, and spirits are high after two good efforts. Northeast, however, finally gets to play in front of its fans after two impressive road wins. EDGE: Northeast
With last week's ranking in parenthesis
1. (1) Seminole (2-0) -- Easy win after shaky opener; will enjoy one more blowout (Boca Ciega) before true tests begin.
2. (2) Tarpon Springs (2-0) -- Put up 28 first-half points and defense stood tall following five Sponger turnovers.
3. (4) CC Catholic (2-0) -- Want to see CCC versus a county foe? There's SPC on Oct. 12 and Friday at Palm Harbor U.
4. (6) Northeast (2-0) -- Week 1 win at East Lake looks even more impressive; first home game Friday against St. Petersburg.
5. (8) East Lake (1-1) -- Whoa!!! Win at Countryside not an upset, but 69-20 score is a shocker; bruising ground game leads the way.
6. (5) Lakewood (1-1) -- Tough schedule ahead: Largo, Osceola, Tarpon; defense will face different challenges in each.
7. (9) Largo (2-0) -- Loves a low-scoring trench fight; beat this week's opponent, Lakewood, 6-0 last year.
8. (3) Countryside (1-1) -- Ouch, ouch, ouch; Cougars take step back with East Lake massacre; confident Dunedin is next.
9. (NR) Osceola (2-0) -- No postseason does not equal no incentive; might feast on teams looking ahead to district games.
10. (10) Dixie Hollins (1-1) -- Only five first downs and 103 total yards against Northeast; must improve to win at Tarpon.
Ron Mathis, Gibbs: The Gladiators are 0-2 but by no fault of the senior quarterback, who has thrown for 401 yards and four touchdowns. He will need another big night at East Lake.
DeJuan Graham, Dunedin: Jabbar Graham led the Falcons in rushing a year ago. Now, his little brother is making a name in the backfield. DeJuan ran for 101 yards and scored two touchdowns against Clearwater.
Cris Schooley, Keswick Christian: More family matters: The junior quarterback enjoyed an efficient night of scrambling against Daytona Beach Father Lopez, running five times and scoring three touchdowns. His brother, Chad, added another score and 137 yards rushing from the tailback spot.
Jon Peattie, Countryside: The Cougars' Friday foe, Dunedin, has already won and lost a game by three points this season. If it's close again, give a nod to this placekicker, who hit a 53-yard field goal last week.
Elijah Dukes, Hillsborough: The star senior running back missed the Terriers' first game due to disciplinary reasons then rushed for 42 yards on five carries last week. In other words, he's due.
OFFENSE: Mike Scanlon -- The running back led Clearwater Central Catholic with 161 yards rushing, 39 yards receiving and an interception in a 14-6 win over three-time Class A state champion Tallahassee North Florida Christian.
DEFENSE: Nate Huegel -- The East Lake linebacker returned two fumbles for touchdowns and helped the Eagles hold Countryside quarterback Kyle Wolfinbarger to 43 yards passing.
Week 1: Jason Teague, Osc
Week 1: Brian Reliford, SP
Osceola at Pinellas Park (Thursday)
Boca Ciega at Seminole
Hillsborough at Clearwater
Countryside at Dunedin
Dixie Hollins at Tarpon Springs
Gibbs at East Lake
Lakewood at Largo
St. Petersburg at Northeast
Shorecrest at Indian Rocks Chr.
Orlando Lake Highland at SPC
Keswick Chr. at Northside Chr.
CCC at Palm Harbor U.
Admiral Farragut at Temple Heights