International Plaza trivia
By Times staff
© St. Petersburg Times,
published September 13, 2001
- 78 acres of land, nearly double the size of MOSI's Back Woods.
- 1.45-million people hours of work from start to finish, equivalent to one person working a 40-hour week for 725 years.
- An average 72,500 people hours worked per month, equivalent to eight human years, or 56 dog years.
- More than 850 people working on site each day, more than double the entire NBA player roster.
- 4,030 tons of steel, enough to manufacture 3,030 automobiles.
- 430,081 square feet of roofing, enough to cover the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' playing field nearly nine times.
- 14,909 cubic yards of cement, enough to fill every tank in the Florida Aquarium -- three times each.
- 120,000 square feet of plaster, enough to cover nearly 26 professional basketball courts.
- 237 miles of electrical wiring and 12.07 miles of electrical conduit, enough to stretch 50 miles into Georgia from International Plaza.
- 4,359 sprinkler heads in the fire-prevention system, one for every seat in all four auditoriums of the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center -- with 259 left over.
- 44,480 feet of underground utility piping, enough to wrap nearly 124 times around the base line of Tropicana Field.
- 130,000 feet of tile, enough to cover the Tampa Bay Lightning's playing ice more than 71/2 times.
- 22 skylights: The largest, 1,600 square feet, would cover more than five shuffleboard courts.
- 3,500 feet of hand rails, enough to stretch all the way to the end of The Pier in St. Petersburg and nearly halfway back.
- 7,175 light fixtures, nearly enough to span Tampa Bay if placed every two feet along the Howard Frankland Bridge.
- 55.5 miles of painted pavement stripes, enough to stretch from International Plaza to beyond Sarasota.
- 2.24-million square feet of asphalt in the parking lots, enough to cover all of Adventure Island 11/3 times.
- 2,100 live trees.
- Source: International Plaza
Back to Weekend
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111