Top five movies and upcoming releases
By Times staff writer
© St. Petersburg Times,
published September 13, 2001
Current movies recommended by the Times
1. Apocalypse Now Redux -- Francis Ford Coppola's 1979 masterpiece gets more than spruced up, with 49 extra minutes making his trippy Vietnam epic clearer, funnier and more fascinating. Tampa Theatre only.
2. The Deep End -- Tilda Swinton gives an award-worthy performance as a mother resorting to any means to spare her son from a murder charge. Beach Theater only.
3. Down from the Mountain -- Bluegrass greats in concert playing the music fromO Brother, Where Art Thou? A top-tapping, heart-lifting experience; only at Channelside Cinemas.
4. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back -- Kevin Smith strikes again with a profane, hilarious Hollywood satire. Not for all tastes because it's so tasteless.
5. Alma -- A daughter (local resident Margie Thorpe) confronts her abused past while cherishing the parents responsible for it. Friday night only at USF's Bayboro campus, but well worth arranging your schedule.
Sept. 21: Training Day, Big Trouble, Happy Accidents
Sept 28: Hearts in Atlantis, Zoolander, Don't Say a Word, Sidewalks of New York
Oct. 5: Serendipity, The Last Castle, Collateral Damage, Joy Ride, Iron Monkey
Oct. 12: Mulholland Drive, Bandits
Oct. 19: Riding in Cars With Boys, The Count of Monte Cristo, From Hell, Waking Life
Oct. 26: Heist, Life as a House, Novocaine, K-Pax
Nov. 2: Monsters, Inc.
Nov. 9: The Man Who Wasn't There, Windtalkers, Shallow Hal
Nov. 14: The Wash
Nov. 16: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Nov. 21: Spy Game
Back to Weekend
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111