Persall's Top Five
By STEVE PERSALL
© St. Petersburg Times, published October 26, 2000
Recent releases recommended by Times film critic Steve Persall
1. Almost Famous -- Cameron Crowe's semi-autobiographical tribute to 1970s rock 'n' roll is one of the year's best films. Funny, wistful, romantic and always dead-on with its atmosphere and attitude.
2. The Contender -- Washington scandal impedes the appointment of a female Democrat as vice president. Partisan, engrossing drama with Oscar-caliber performances by Joan Allen, Gary Oldman and Jeff Bridges.
3. Meet the Parents -- Lunkhead in love (Ben Stiller) suffers through a weekend with his girlfriend's father (Robert De Niro). Grand, grotesque comedy. This year's There's Something About Mary.
4. Remember the Titans -- A newly integrated Virginia high school in 1971 hires a new football coach (Denzel Washington) to build a winning and color-blind team. A feel-good football movie.
5. The Exorcist -- Still one of the scariest films ever made, with 11 minutes of extra footage and remastered sound revealing all the creepy things we couldn't hear in 1973.
Back to Weekend
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111