St. Petersburg Times Online: Pasco

Weather | Sports | Forums | Comics | Classifieds | Calendar | Movies

Family homeless after fire

By Times staff writer

© St. Petersburg Times, published November 24, 2000

CRYSTAL RIVER -- A mother and two daughters are homeless after a toaster oven caused a fire Wednesday at their apartment on SE Eighth Avenue, police said.

The fire at unit 884 of Ridgeview Apartments, 880 SE Eighth Ave., began shortly after noon, according to a news release from the Crystal River Police Department.

The apartment sustained smoke and fire damage.

Donnett Bunch, who lives at the apartment, said no one was home when the fire began.

The police have attributed it to a faulty toaster.

"My personal belongings got smoked up real bad and I'm out a place to stay," said Bunch, who has two daughters, ages 12 and 16.

The Red Cross is providing the family with lodging.

© Copyright, St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved.