Persall's Top Five
By STEVE PERSALL
© St. Petersburg Times, published December 7, 2000
Recent releases recommended by Times film critic Steve Persall
1. Requiem for a Dream -- Drug addiction has never been depicted in such harrowing fashion as this. An NC-17 rating was refused by the filmmakers but is certainly deserved. Viewers beware. Beach Theater only.
2. 102 Dalmatians -- Times correspondent Philip Booth enjoyed Glenn Close's ferocious performance as Cruella De Vil in Disney's sequel to a remake.
3. Vertical Limit -- Mountain climbers Chris O'Donnell, Bill Paxton and Robin Tunney scale majestic peaks and screenplay valleys in Martin Campbell's cliff-hanger.
4. Men of Honor -- Fact-based story of Carl Brashear, the U.S. Navy's first African-American master diver, and the prejudice he overcame to reach that goal. Oscar winners Cuba Gooding Jr. and Robert De Niro co-star.
5. Unbreakable -- A close call, since some fans of The Sixth Sense will be disappointed. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson make the best of a comic-book script. An interesting failure.
Back to Weekend
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111